- not performing normally, as an organ or structure of the body; malfunctioning.
- having a malfunctioning part or element: It is hard to get bills through a dysfunctional congress.
- behaving or acting outside social norms: All the siblings in their extremely dysfunctional family lost contact as adults.
- med (of an organ or part) not functioning normally
- (esp of a family) characterized by a breakdown of normal or beneficial relationships between members of the group
1917, from Dysfunctionally.+ (1). Related: