noun, plural gen·tle·wom·en.
- a woman of good family, breeding, or social position
- a civilized, educated, sensitive, or well-mannered woman; lady.
- a woman who attends upon a lady of rank.
- a female member of the U.S. Senate or House of Representatives: The chair recognizes the gentlewoman from Maine.
noun plural -women
- archaic a woman regarded as being of good family or breeding; lady
- rare a woman who is cultured, courteous, and well-educated
- history a woman in personal attendance on a high-ranking lady