- of or relating to an inauguration: Harding’s inaugural address.
- marking the beginning of a new venture, series, etc.: the inaugural run of the pony express.
- an address, as of a president, at the beginning of a term of office.
- an inaugural ceremony: to attend the presidential inaugural.
- characterizing or relating to an inauguration
- a speech made at an inauguration, esp by a president of the US
1680s, from French inaugural (17c.), from inaugurer “to inaugurate” (see inauguration). The noun meaning “an inaugural address” is recorded from 1832, American English.