1. a projecting part, usually rounded, forming the handle of a door, drawer, or the like.
  2. a rounded lump or protuberance on the surface or at the end of something, as a knot on a tree trunk.
  3. Architecture. an ornamental boss, as of carved work.
  4. a rounded hill, mountain, or elevation on a ridge.

verb (used with object), knobbed, knobĀ·bing.

  1. to produce a knob on.
  2. to furnish with a knob.
  3. (in stone cutting) to knock off (excess stone) preparatory to dressing; knobble; skiffle.


  1. a rounded projection from a surface, such as a lump on a tree trunk
  2. a handle of a door, drawer, etc, esp one that is rounded
  3. a round hill or knoll or morainic ridge
  4. British taboo a slang word for penis
  5. and the same to you with knobs on or and the same to you with brass knobs on British informal the same to you but even more so

verb knobs, knobbing or knobbed

  1. (tr) to supply or ornament with knobs
  2. (intr) to form into a knob; bulge
  3. British taboo to have sexual intercourse with (someone)

late 14c., knobe, probably from a Scandinavian or German source (cf. Middle Low German knobbe “knob,” Middle Dutch cnoppe, Dutch knop, Old Frisian knopp, knapp, Old High German knopf, German Knopf “button,” Old Norse knyfill “short horn”). Meaning “knoll, isolated round hill” is first recorded 1640s, especially in U.S.

  1. A prominent, rounded hill or mountain.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

49 queries 1.147