- suntan(def 2).
- a city in and the capital of Yucatán, in SE Mexico.
- a city in W Venezuela.
- a peninsula in SE Mexico and N Central America comprising parts of SE Mexico, N Guatemala, and Belize.
- a state in SE Mexico, in N Yucatán Peninsula. 14,868 sq. mi. (38,510 sq. km). Capital: Mérida.
- a city in SE Mexico, capital of Yucatán state: founded in 1542 on the site of the ancient Mayan city of T’ho; centre of the henequen industry; university. Pop: 919 000 (2005 est)
- a city in W Venezuela: founded in 1558 by Spanish conquistadores; University of Los Andes (1785). Pop: 319 000 (2005 est)
- a market town in W Spain, in Extremadura, on the Guadiana River: founded in 25 bc; became the capital of Lusitania and one of the chief cities of Iberia. Pop: 52 110 (2003 est)Latin name: Augusta Emerita
- a state of SE Mexico, occupying the N part of the Yucatán peninsula. Capital: Mérida. Pop: 1 655 707 (2000). Area: 39 340 sq km (15 186 sq miles)
- a peninsula of Central America between the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean, including the Mexican states of Campeche, Yucatán, and Quintana Roo, and part of Belize: a centre of Mayan civilization from about 100 bc to the 18th century. Area: about 181 300 sq km (70 000 sq miles)
said to be from a local word meaning “massacre.” Peninsula mostly in southeastern Mexico, separating the Caribbean Sea from the Gulf of Mexico.