- used or shared in common by everyone in a group: a communal jug of wine.
- of, by, or belonging to the people of a community; shared or participated in by the public: communal land; Building the playground was a communal project.
- pertaining to a commune or a community: communal life.
- engaged in by or involving two or more communities: communal conflict.
- belonging or relating to a community as a whole
- relating to different groups within a societycommunal strife
- of or relating to a commune or a religious community
adj.1811 in reference to communes; 1843 in reference to communities, from French communal (Old French comunal, 12c.), from Late Latin communalis, from communa (see commune (n.)).