- an act or instance of overdrawing a checking account.
- a check overdrawn on a checking account.
- the amount overdrawn.
- an excessive drawing on or drawing off of something.
- a draft made to pass over a fire, as in a furnace.
- a draft passing downward through a kiln.
- Metalworking. a tendency of a rolled piece to curve upward after passing through a stand, occurring when the lower roll is faster than the upper.
- a draft or withdrawal of money in excess of the credit balance on a bank or building-society cheque account
- the amount of money drawn or withdrawn thus
n.1878, in the banking sense, from over- + draft (n.). The amount by which a check exceeds the funds on deposit to cover it.