- the syllable used for the second tone of a diatonic scale.
- (in the fixed system of solmization) the tone D.Compare sol-fa(def 1).
preposition Chiefly Law and Commerce.
- in the case of; with reference to; in re.
noun Egyptian Religion.
- right end.
- contraction of are: They’re leaving.
- a prefix, occurring originally in loanwords from Latin, used with the meaning “again” or “again and again” to indicate repetition, or with the meaning “back” or “backward” to indicate withdrawal or backward motion: regenerate; refurbish; retype; retrace; revert.
- real estate.
- Reformed Episcopal.
- Right Excellent.
- real estate.
- in the matter of.
- music a variant spelling of ray 3
- with reference to
the internet domain name for
- Reunion Island
- another name for Ra 2
the chemical symbol for
- Reformed Episcopal
- Religious Education
- Right Excellent
- Royal Engineers
- in the matter of: used esp in bankruptcy proceedings
- indicating return to a previous condition, restoration, withdrawal, etcrebuild; renew; retrace; reunite
- indicating repetition of an actionrecopy; remarry
- arewe’re; you’re; they’re
“with reference to,” used from c.1700 in legalese, from Latin (in) re “in the matter of,” from ablative case of res “matter, thing.” Its use is execrated by Fowler in three different sections of “Modern English Usage.”
word-forming element meaning “back to the original place; again, anew, once more,” also with a sense of “undoing,” c.1200, from Old French and directly from Latin re- “again, back, anew, against,” “Latin combining form concievably from Indo-European *wret-, metathetical variant of *wert- “to turn” [Watkins]. Often merely intensive, and in many of the older borrowings from French and Latin the precise sense of re- is lost in secondary senses or weakened beyond recognition. OED writes that it is “impossible to attempt a complete record of all the forms resulting from its use,” and adds that “The number of these is practically infinite ….” The Latin prefix became red- before vowels and h-, e.g. redact, redeem, redolent, redundant.
- The symbol for the elementrhenium
- right extremity
- Again; anew:rebreathing.
- Backward; back:recurvation.
- The symbol for rhenium.
- A very rare, dense, silvery-white metallic element with a very high melting point. It is used to make catalysts and electrical contacts. Atomic number 75; atomic weight 186.2; melting point 3,180°C; boiling point 5,627°C; specific gravity 21.02; valence 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. See Periodic Table.