noun, plural Taos for 2.
- a Tanoan language spoken in two villages in New Mexico.
- a member of an American Indian people occupying a pueblo in New Mexico.
- a town in N New Mexico: resort; art colony.
noun (sometimes lowercase)
- (in philosophical Taoism) that in virtue of which all things happen or exist.
- the rational basis of human activity or conduct.
- a universal, regarded as an ideal attained to a greater or lesser degree by those embodying it.
noun (in the philosophy of Taoism)
- that in virtue of which all things happen or exist
- the rational basis of human conduct
- the course of life and its relation to eternal truth
n.1736, from Chinese tao “way, path, right way (of life), reason.”