- a person who tastes, especially one skilled in distinguishing the qualities of liquors, tea, etc., by the taste.
- a container for taking samples or tasting.
- a wide shallow cup, usually metal, for holding wine to be tasted, as by a professional taster.
- a person employed or ordered to taste the food and drink prepared for a king, dictator, etc., to ascertain the presence of poison.
- Genetics. a person able to taste phenylthiourea or some other test substance.
- a person who samples food or drink for quality
- any device used in tasting or sampling
- a person employed, esp formerly, to taste food and drink prepared for a king, etc, to test for poison
- a sample or preview of a product, experience, etc, intended to stimulate interest in the product, experience, etc, itselfthe single serves as a taster for the band’s new album