- made or intended to be discarded after use or quick examination: a throwaway container; a throwaway brochure.
- delivered or expressed casually or extemporaneously: a funny throwaway line that brings applause.
- something that is made or intended to be discarded.
- a handbill, advertising circular, pamphlet, etc., intended to be discarded after reading.
- Also called pushout. Informal. a youth who is unwanted or rejected by his or her family, the school system, or society in general.
- said or done incidentally, esp for rhetorical effect; casuala throwaway remark
- anything designed to be discarded after use rather than reused, refilled, etc; disposable
- (as modifier)a throwaway carton
- mainly US and Canadian a handbill or advertisement distributed in a public place
verb throw away (tr, adverb)
- to get rid of; discard
- to fail to make good use of; wasteto throw away all one’s money on horses