- responding especially readily and sympathetically to appeals, efforts, influences, etc.: a responsive government.
- Physiology. acting in response, as to some stimulus.
- characterized by the use of responses: responsive worship.
- reacting or replying quickly or favourably, as to a suggestion, initiative, etc
- (of an organism) reacting to a stimulus
adj.early 15c., “making answer,” from Middle French responsif and directly from Late Latin responsivus “answering,” from Latin respons-, past participle stem of respondere (see respond). Meaning “responding to influence or action” is from 1762. Related: Responsively; responsiveness.