- any tropical, climbing orchid of the genus Vanilla, especially V. planifolia, bearing podlike fruit yielding an extract used in flavoring food, in perfumery, etc.
- Also called vanilla bean. the fruit or bean of this orchid.
- the extract of this fruit.
- containing or flavored with vanilla: vanilla custard.
- Informal. plain-vanilla.
- any tropical climbing orchid of the genus Vanilla, esp V. plonifolia, having spikes of large fragrant greenish-yellow flowers and long fleshy pods containing the seeds (beans)
- the pod or bean of certain of these plants, used to flavour food, etc
- a flavouring extract prepared from vanilla beans and used in cooking
- flavoured with or as if with vanillavanilla ice cream
- slang ordinary or conventionala vanilla kind of guy
1660s, from Spanish vainilla “vanilla plant,” literally “little pod,” diminutive of vaina “sheath,” from Latin vagina “sheath” (see vagina). So called from the shape of the pods. European discovery 1521 by Hernando Cortes’ soldiers on reconnaissance in southeastern Mexico. Meaning “conventional, of ordinary sexual preferences” is 1970s, from notion of whiteness and the common choice of vanilla ice cream.
- Any of various tropical American vines of the genus Vanilla, especially V. planifolia, cultivated for its long narrow seedpods from which a flavoring agent is obtained.
- The seedpod of this plant.vanilla bean
- A flavoring extract prepared from the cured seedpods of this plant or produced synthetically.
- Flavored with vanilla.