- in or during any or every afternoon: He slept late and worked afternoons.
- the time from noon until evening.
- the latter part: the afternoon of life.
- pertaining to the latter part of the day.
- informal during the afternoon, esp regularly
- the period of the day between noon and evening
- (as modifier)afternoon tea
- a middle or later partthe afternoon of life
c.1300, from after + noon. In 15c.-16c., the form was at afternoon; from c.1600 it has been in the afternoon. Middle English also had aftermete “afternoon, part of the day following the noon meal,” mid-14c.