- a person who has recently or suddenly acquired wealth, importance, position, or the like, but has not yet developed the conventionally appropriate manners, dress, surroundings, etc.
- being or resembling a parvenu.
- characteristic of a parvenu.
- a person, esp a man, who, having risen socially or economically, is considered to be an upstart or to lack the appropriate refinement for his or her new position
- of or characteristic of a parvenu
n.“upstart,” 1802, from French parvenu, “said of an obscure person who has made a great fortune” (Littré); noun use of past participle of parvenir “to arrive” (12c.), from Latin pervenire “to come up, arrive, attain,” from per- “through” (see per (prep.)) + venire “to come” (see venue). As an adjective from 1828.