- the scales or small shreds of epidermis that are continually exfoliated from the skin.
- any scaly matter or incrustation on a surface.
- another name for dandruff
- flaky or scaly matter adhering to or peeling off a surface
n.late Old English sceorf, from Proto-Germanic *skurf- (cf. Danish skurv, Middle Dutch scorf, Dutch schurft, Old High German scorf, German Schorf “scurf”), probably related to Old English sceorfan “to gnaw,” scearfian “to cut into shreds,” from PIE *skerp-, from root *(s)ker- “to cut” (see shear (v.)). n.
- Scaly or shredded dry skin, such as that which occurs as dandruff.